Tuesday, March 17, 2015

best pancakes ever.

In continuing to celebrate sugaring season, I thought I would share a recipe for the best pancakes ever.  It's no exaggeration.  If you've ever stayed as an overnight guest with us, there is a good chance you've eaten these cakes and can attest to that claim yourself.  There is a long-winded tale of how I came to hold this recipe, but I will spare you that.  This recipe was given to me and I have shared it with others on small scraps of paper, the backs of receipts, and on postcards.  Twice, I have lost it and in a panic called one of the holders of those random scraps only to have it dictated back to me....whew!  I thought I would post it here so that you and I know there is a place we can always come back to find it.

This is no health recipe; no gluten-free, grain-free, nutrient-packed anything.  Just good ol' buttermilk pancakes.  While this is not a cooking blog, I thought I would share a few tips I learned from my days managing a bed and breakfast to help you make the perfect pancake.

  • Start with a hot griddle or pan. Test the heat with a few drops of water. When the water dances across the pan, your griddle is ready.
  • After you've poured your batter, wait until bubbles form throughout the pancake before flipping.
  • Flip your cakes only once. No back and forth, back and forth flipping.
  • Never, never squish your pancake with your spatula.  It may be tempting with these pancakes as they are thick, but you end up with dense cakes, rather than fluffy ones.

And without further ado:



Best Pancakes Ever.
serves 4-6

1/4 lb     butter (melted)
3              eggs
1/4 C      vanilla extract
2 C          buttermilk
2 1/2 C  flour
1/8 C     sugar
2 1/2 T  baking powder
1/4  T    salt

In a small bowl mix together your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. While the quantities for baking powder and salt may seem bulky, I assure you they are correct. Mix well and set aside.
In a large bowl beat your three eggs, add melted butter, vanilla, and buttermilk.  Mix very well.
By hand*, mix your dry ingredients into your wet, careful to not over mix.

The batter will be thick and will rise as it sits, so make sure you start with a large bowl.  The batter can be made the night before. Store it covered in the fridge, which lets it continue to rise.  We use a 1/4 C to spoon the batter out.  Because the batter is thick, you may want to spread it out after you've poured it on your griddle.  The cakes will continue to rise while they cook, so expect a thick pancake. Because they are thick, spread your batter and let them cook thoroughly on both sides.

Happy sugaring season!



*An inside joke for my mom and sister and anyone who has had to endure the "mix by hand" tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment