Wednesday, January 1, 2014

simple gifts.


Throughout the holiday season, the Shaker song "Simple Gifts" played in my mind over and over again.

'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free
'Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

These words have always seemed sweet to me, but for some reason, this year, they seem to resonate a truth deep within.  Much of my young adult life was spent turning, moving from place to place, searching until finally, I came down to where I was meant to be.  I landed in these hills of Western Massachusetts that whispered to me the first time I visited, "You are home."  Shortly after moving here I met my husband and together in the years since we have built a life together based on simplicity, love, and community.


As I begin this New Year, I look around at my home, my children, my husband and our community and I feel that I found myself in the place just right. Right now, in this moment, I am living in the valley of love and delight. My life is not perfect, not by society's standards, but it is perfectly my life, the one I am continually creating with my family. I could begin this year to resolve for more, for bigger, or better; but instead I resolve to continue the path of simplicity and to be grateful for all of its abundance.


Wishing you all love and delight in the New Year!  







No comments:

Post a Comment